Originally a Sixteenth Century Coaching Inn the Horse & Jockey’s history exceeds that of many of its surrounding buildings. Built from local lime stone and oak framed the Grade 1 listed building also has its fair share of supernatural activity, with the Green Lady’s presence often felt!
The village of Waddington is a documented settlement in the Doomsday Book of 1086 and was mainly an agricultural community until the late 19th century. Horse racing also took place on the heath land areas, which are now part of the RAF station. At various times other activities including malting, brick-making and stone-quarrying have taken place in the village.
High Dyke, the road that runs between the main RAF station and the service married quarters, lies on the line of the Roman Road Ermine Street. There is only minor evidence that High Dyke is Ermine Street, but the alignment is so exact that it is unlikely to be a coincidence. It is of note that Ermine Street, as it passes Byards Leap, 20 miles to the south, is also called High Dyke at that point. The traceable line of Ermine Street peters out in the adjacent village of Harmston and does not reappear until the other side of Lincoln.